Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Painting again... finally



This has been a long time coming...

A painting( IN PROGRESS) inspired by one of my favorite poems by John Berger.

This excerpt was taken from - And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief As Photos

I first came across this poem about 15 years ago (yikes) and it was so poignant for me. It would come to mind ever so often while reflecting on the meaning of love. Over time, it's meaning has only intensified.
Some may find this a bit morbid due to the subject matter, but I assure you it is not my intention as I am sure you will understand after reading the poem.



The Poem-


“What reconciles me to my own death more than anything else is the image of a place: a place where your bones and mine are buried, thrown, uncovered, together. They are strewn there pell-mell. One of your left ribs leans against my skull. A metacarpal of my left hand lies inside your pelvis. (Against my broken ribs your breast like a flower.) The hundred bones of our feet are scattered like gravel. It is strange that this image of our proximity, concerning as it does mere phosphate of calcium, should bestow a sense of peace. Yet it does. With you I can imagine a place where to be phosphate of calcium is enough.”


So... this is my humble rendering... I had recently seen a photo of an archaeological site in Italy
and it immediately brought the poem to mind. This sketch was not based on the photo however as you will see if you click on the link. I took sketches from two separate photos/sites and brought them together to give a similar effect. I promise to take better photos soon. Hopefully you can get the gist with these.


the sketch


underpainting in progress..... lots more work to be done
Would love to hear what you think :)

4 comments:

  1. I wrote a comment last night but I think i forgot to write the scrambled word thing.
    Anyhow.
    I am so excited to see you painting,
    The poem is surprisingly beautiful.
    YOur painting is wonderful, i can't wait to see where you go with it. and your drawing, i love your line and the little foot bones are heartbreaking.....
    I am so happy you are painting, you have so much to say.
    And I love to listen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh what at beautiful poem. It´s great the way You inspire on it. Looks great. There is so much love in Your line and in the space in between.
    and shouldn´t You do a series, sketch them human size?

    it´s a pity I can´t make Your pics larger? It´s like that with some of the pics a put in to my blog too, I don´t know how to come pass it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Very excited to be painting again. It's been too long. Would have loved to make this one life size. I didn't have enough canvas on hand. I wish I had a studio so I could work huge canvases and have a place to store everything. :) I'll try take more photos soon so that you will be able to enlarge and see the detail better. I'd definitely like to do a series life size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Found your blog via a permaculture searchof blogger.
    RE: your painting, I looked at it before I read the poem and immediately felt it was a warm scene - I think that's what's beautiful about it, the gentleness, through an image we are so used to seeing portayed in a macabre way.

    Well done! It will be nice to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete